Friday, October 8, 2010

Incarceron, by Catherine Fisher



I picked up the sequel to this book, Sapphique, at BEA last spring, so I checked Incarceron out from the library so I could get to the sequel. Incarceron was in serious demand--I had to put a hold on it, which I forgot about and missed. And then missed again. By the time I actually got my hands on the book, I was really excited to read it, mostly because it is based on a fantastic premise--a living, limitless prison that holds thousands of captives, who have been trapped for generations.  Finn lives in this world, but believes he comes from Outside the prison. Claudia, the daughter of the warden, lives on the Outside, in a world that has decided to return to a medieval feudal past in order to survive. The setting is fascinating, but I found the plot and characters lacking (perhaps because I already knew there was a sequel, I knew that everything wasn't going to be resolved? And that the main characters wouldn't die?). There was one major twist that got me, (and I won't spoil it for you) but other plot points were very predictable. The characters were also pretty uninspired--Claudia, the pretty and fearless girl with daddy issues, Finn, the strong and silent boy with a mysterious past, the traitorous best friend. I'll probably read Sapphique since I already have it and because I hope it will get better, but I'm not crossing my fingers.


Also, here is the book trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment