Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pace, Part One: COMPLETE

Okay, so I might have slacked off with the whole “writing thing” for a while. But I’m back! So let’s forget this whole thing even happened, okay?

I just finished up my first year as in Pace University’s M.S. in Publishing program and I’m happy to report it’s been amazing, even if some classes (I’m looking at you, Financial Aspects of Publishing) made me want to give up and pursue something easier, like bricklaying or becoming a surrogate mom. I basically took courses on things like marketing, production, and editing, but what really had me excited were things like guest speakers (some super neat examples—the editor who first published Hitchhiker’s Guide, Susan Katz, publisher of HarperCollins Children's Books, and Michael Healy, who is heading up the Google Book project).

I’ve also made a whole bunch of clever friends who were nice enough to listen to me whine and to not make fun of me for bringing a suitcase to class.

But I’ve really noticed that these classes have really inspired me to put what I’m learning to use right away either by creating something new at work (like a newsletter) or by researching a topic and keeping up with the industry news on my own time, which I’m sure I would never be motivated enough to do otherwise. Oh, and they inspired me to write this. So there’s something!

Annnyway, I’m super excited because I get to go to the Book Expo this year! Free books, I will CONSUME YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment